Friday, September 26, 2008

THE PRAYER OF GENUINE HUMILITY AND WORSHIP
...it's all vanity if not acceptable in the sight of God

Psalm 19:14. "Let the words of my mouth,
and the meditation of my heart,
be acceptable in thy sight,
O Lord, my strength, and my Redeemer."

by Charles Spurgeon
A sweet prayer, and so spiritual that it is almost as commonly used in Christian worship as the apostolic benediction. Words of the mouth are mockery if the heart does not meditate; the shell is nothing without the kernel; but both together are useless unless accepted; and even if accepted by man, it is all vanity if not acceptable in the sight of God. We must in prayer view Jehovah as our strength enabling, and our Redeemer saving, or we shall not pray aright, and it is well to feel our personal interest so as to use the word my, or our prayers will be hindered.

Our near Kinsman's name, our God or Redeemer, makes a blessed ending to the Psalm; it began with the heavens, but it ends with him whose glory fills heaven and earth. Blessed Kinsman, give us now to meditate acceptably upon thy most sweet love and tenderness.

5 comments:

Detoured By Travel said...

Thank you for this Steve...I must add this for my own sake:

Let my public statements and written blog posts also be acceptable in thy sight - may they lift up and magnify the Lord Jesus, give glory to His Name, point to the truth of His Word, and draw men unto Him.

SJ Camp said...

detoured...
That is my prayer too. I have a wicked, sinful heart that needs daily cleansing before the Lord. Like Calvin said, "not just one act of repentance unto salvation, but a daily life of repentance..."

Excellent word brother.
Steve

Carla Rolfe said...

Encouraging and convicting at the same time. Thank you for this.

Susan said...

This was great Steve.

We were created to glorify and honor God.

If there was ever a mantra for the desire of my heart…this would be it.

Unknown said...

Beautiful post, Steve, beautiful words. Thank you for such a blessing.

Karen