Monday, August 11, 2008

MULLIGAN MONDAYS
...sometimes you just need another swing at the ball

If you think today's Christianity
isn't producing fruit, think again!


No commentary needed today--enjoy (cp, 2 Cor. 2:17; 1 Tim. 6:1-6).

Discover what Christian retailers have known for years... the dumbing-down of Evangelicalism has its advantages!

Carl Buchanan, author of Quarters from Heaven: Soda Vending Machines at Church, writes: "Denny Theeves has given me the tools to help the Pepsi generation come to Christ. And doesn't their salvation make up for their deteriorating tooth enamel and sugar-induced hyperactivity?"

Ronald Haley-Quinn, inventor of the Jesus Pez Dispenser, raves: "If not for trailblazers like Denny working with retail chains like Lifeway and Mardel, I would have never thought that you could make a decent living reducing our Lord and Savior to a novelty item."

Mel Gibson, movie star and director of The Passion of the Christ, says: "With Denny's advice, I made millions of dollars merchandising the heck out of Christ's crucifixion. If the Catholic Church knew what Denny knows, they would have dropped Indulgences centuries ago and went straight to retail."

Ken Blanchard, Christian expert and founder of Lead Like Jesus: "I haven't read the book, but what the heck, I'll endorse it anyway!"

A Fine Publication of
"A Tradition of Mixing Flesh and Spirit Since 2004"

15 comments:

Steve Weaver said...

That's good! It's sad that we can identify so easily with this!

Charles Sebold said...

I haven't seen a link to what I believe is the original of this, at The Sacred Sandwich, so here you go. If I missed the link then I apologize.

SJ Camp said...

Thank you...
A friend sent this to me... didn't know the origin,

Steve

PS - if you'rer offended by the "c" word; the Greek word is skubalon (used by Paul in Phil. 3:8 for dung, rubbish, or refuse.)

littlegal_66 said...

Now come on, Campi, you know you are just dying to get your hands on a Football Jesus Bobblehead, or perhaps you'd be interested in some of the Posable Bible Action figures......Job even comes complete with boils on his skin and holes in his clothes. You know, for those "hard-to-buy-for" folks on your Christmas list......

Do you get the feeling that Mr. Haney from Green Acres has taken over the Christian retail industry?

How about the Skiing Jesus (and other sports) figurines that the Catholic retailers are peddling?

Bhedr said...

Thank you for that crucial course in Greek. Now I'm sure I can solve all mysteries and feel well grafted and prepared for apologetics. Will this be on the Campola University final?

Keep on shinning the light of truth. I can't believe Mel Gibson said that...but then again I do as the same man that believes all that ancient Roman superstition and bondage made the movie 'Braveheart'. I still haven't figured that one out yet.

loren said...

Hi Steve,

In the Christian publishing and gift shop world, there is an inside term for this sort of thing. They call it "Jesus junk." For example, did you know if you draw a cross on a yo-yo, it becomes a 'Christian' yo-yo?

littlegal_66 said...

loren: Not sure about it necessarily being an "inside term."

I believe Keith Green referred to it as "Jesus junk" years ago.

--littlegal

P.S. A "Christian yo-yo?" I expect to see a few of those convening here in Nashville this next weekend. ; )

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

Jeremy Weaver said...

Take a picture of anything, a toilet for instance, and put Phillippians 3:8 on it, and voila!, 750% markup!

GeneMBridges said...

I don'tknow which is funnier today...this Monday Mulligan or Satan's commendation of Phil Johnson's blog here, first entry:

http://phillipjohnson.blogspot.com/2005/08/triumphant-return-of-blogspotting.html

Wyman Richardson said...

Personally, I like Testa-mints. You get the joy of a mint AND a verse from the Word of God...just before you crumple it up and throw it away so as to be able to focus on the mint unhindered by the threat of holy writ. Cool.

Jeremy Weaver said...

That reminds me of some mints we sold at the Christian bookstore I used to work at. Living in Big Orange country, football is almost Christian. Any way we got some mints that were called Hel-mints. I thought that was pretty funny. Mints for the lost man.

Wyman Richardson said...

Somebody should market Calvimints. They could have selections from The Institutes printed inside.

Nathan W. Bingham said...

Thanks for the laugh Steve.

Wyman Richardson:

Some of the tag lines for Calvimints could include...

"They're Irresistible!"

"When your other mints have lost their flavor or have dissolved...Calvimints will persevere!"

Rick Frueh said...

And with all the trinkets and junk, the devil has retailed a plastic version of the Christian life. He can hardly keep the shelves stocked.

Timothy said...

Steve,
That is excellent and captures the Jesus Junk movement to a T. I try to gently tell my congregants to stay out of the Christian bookstores. It works for the most part, but we still see some of it at our gift exchange at Christmas time... I think in my seven years as a pastor, I have been given 5 copies of the Prayer of Jabez. Still haven't read it yet.

Blessings